Friday 28 April 2017

Etsy shop find... a chat with Melodie Stacey

This months etsy interview is with Melodie Stacey.
Melodie is a fine art and mixed media artist based in Brighton.
Her dark and whimsical artworks are full of intrigue and wonder and leave you wanting to know more about the mysterious ladies that feature in her paintings.
Beautiful dreamy landscapes, lush foliage and interesting buildings in the distance all help to create drama to each piece.
And lets just mention the colour palettes and how amazing those bright pops of colour look sitting on dark grounds, yum!

So, lets get to know a little about Melodie shall we...


1. Can you tell us a bit about you and your background... 

I'm from Brighton now but previously I lived in Scotland and studied Fine art at Aberdeens Grays school of art, for a BA Hons in painting.
The following year from that I did a MA in Art and Design.



2. What books/ magazines are currently on your coffee table?

I don't buy magazines very often so it's more likely to be books..my latest is about Wes Anderson whose films I'm a huge fan of.


3. Can you give us an insight into your creative process?

I normally work at my best in the morning, and I have to plan my time very carefully as I home school my daughter so consequently everything has to be tied around her routine.
I keep a sketchbook to sketch or write any ideas and then I try them out! 
Some work and sometimes others don't, which is fine as it's all part of the process. 


4. Tell us about a typical day for you...

I work in the mornings to finish work started the previous day and then use my afternoons to work on admin in my shops, answering emails, checking Instagram which I'm a bit addicted to!
I don't tend to work later than 6pm, but sometimes, especially if I'm making dolls it can go all evening too.


5. Where do you work? 
Describe your studio/work area

I work from home, I don't have a studio. We have a large dining table so that suits me fine as I work small and can put things away quite quickly. 
It's not ideal and I have to confess I'd rather have a studio but it works for now.


6. What’s the most rewarding thing about being an illustrator?

I wouldn't really call myself an Illustrator yet, though it's something I'm working on. I've always seen myself as a mixed media artist though illustration is the path I'm hoping to take now.
I have recently started making prints and it's lovely when people send me photos of them in their homes.


7. What makes you laugh?

My husband and Father Ted, I'm a big fan of daft humour.


8. What's your guilty pleasure?

Cheesy detective shows


9. What’s the most popular item for sale in your etsy shop? And your personal favourite?

I've just sold my favourite, it was a painting called 'Jay mountain' but currently it would have to be Mr Magpie, which is in my Etsy shop.


10. What are your favourite books from childhood?

I have many favourite books but the one that stands out is The Bedtime Book by Richard Scarry, a huge book full of stories, poems and lists! Jan Pienkowski, Judith Kerr and Janet and Allan Ahlberg amongst others were favoutrites too..and not forgetting Roald Dahl!


11. What are you currently passionate about or fascinated by and how is it inspiring your work?

I have recently been trying to use paper clay. I've made some figurines and dolls with it, I really would like to use clay further.



12. Who are some of your favourite illustrators/designers and what do you love about their work?

I have a lot of favourite illustrators, the one that stands out though is Isabelle Arsenault. 
I recently brought The Cloth Lullaby which is about Louise bourgeois, it's just an exquisite book and the illustrations are breath taking. 



(all images above copyright of Melodie Stacey)


A big thank you to Melodie for giving us an insight into her world.

You can follow Melodie here...


x x x

















SHARE:
Blog Design Created by pipdig